Social Zazz

This history of the cover art for “The Great Gatsby” [21 pictures]

F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby was published in 1925 with the classic cover that many of us will recognize — A dark blue back ground with the eyes and mouth of an otherwise invisible face set over a glimmering cityscape…

Since the original edition, numerous graphic designers and artists have re-presenting this classic to the masses. Scholar and Fitzgerald biographer Matthew J. Bruccoli has collected many of these editions over the years and they are now housed at the University of South Carolina…

(via The New York Times, This Isn’t Happiness)

Read more: http://twentytwowords.com/this-history-of-the-cover-art-for-the-great-gatsby-21-pictures/

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Social Zazz

15 comments for “This history of the cover art for “The Great Gatsby” [21 pictures]

1. Nathan
    November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

Wow. One of those pretty much gives away the ending of the book.

2. Ally

Same!

3. November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

Aweseom collection of cover designs. It’s great to see all the different visual interpretations.

4. willow_kidd
    November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

Original is still my favorite.

5. derek
    November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

Ladies and gentlemen, you’ve been trolled.

6. November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

You missed the best cover of the book there’s ever been: the UK Vintage Classichttp://covers.booktopia.com.au/big/9780099541530/the-great-gatsby.jpg

7. Ari
    November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

My goodness people, its just his opinion. I personally love The Great Gatsby, but not everyone loves all classics. Talk about 1981 or The Grapes of Wrath…both classics that I completely dislike.

8. Eddy
    November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

Right, Nick. That’s why it’s an American classic novel, because it’s the “worst”. Perhaps the material escapes your comprehension. Might want to stick to light reading. I heard Paris Hilton and Snookie have books out. They might be more to your liking.

9. Katie

It’s a prequel I guess.

10. Jay
    November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

My dear Nick,I sincerely envy you. To have a reading list where Gatsby is the worst thing you’ve read indicates an incredible level of literature to exceed Fitzgerald’s little story. You are a fortunate man and I congratulate you on your discretion.The Great Gatsby tops my list, with few able to vie for its spot. I can only dream of a list where it falls to the bottom. That would be a full, and lovely life to live.In all respect, Jay

11. Courtney
    November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

Holy crap that’s exactly what I scrolled down to say. Totally gives it away.

12. November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

Why don’t you grow up a bit before you start making judgements on books like The Great Gatsby.

13. Nick
    November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

Worst book I’ve ever read.

14. Anthony
    November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

I have to agree. I didn’t like this book either. I have read a lot of books. Probably one Penguin Classic a week since I studied English Lit. for 4 years. Its not the WORST book. there are a lot of crap books out there. But I did not enjoy it.and Nick is entitled to use hyperbole.I am, however, looking forward to Baz Luhrmann’s movie. It looks like it conveys the whole “party boy” `gentry` thing quite well. I found all that quite gross when I was reading the book, and felt a little ostracized. if that makes any sense.

15. Armand